Second eFramngham Heart Study
In the electronic Framingham Heart Study (eFHS), the investigators developed and deployed a mobile app to collect cardiovascular risk factors and event data and test them against cardiovascular data collected in the Framingham research clinic for the FHS. Participants enrolled in eFHS receive a series of digital surveys modules to complete on a regularly occurring schedule. The objective of the planned randomized trial is to test the effect of administering half of survey modules every 2 weeks versus all survey modules every 4 weeks on improving participants' response rates. There will be 4 survey periods. Period 1 encompasses all survey modules administered from baseline up to week 8 (19 surveys/tasks per participant); period 2 from week 8 up to week 16 (18 surveys/tasks per participant); period 3 from week 16 up to week 24; period 4 from week 24 (16 surveys/tasks per participant).
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Eligible Ages
- Over 50 Years
- Eligible Genders
- Accepts Healthy Volunteers
- Invited to enroll from the FHS Offspring and Omni Group 1 Cohorts during the in-person examination 10/5 at the FHS Research Center - English speaking - English language reading proficiency - Owns an iPhone with compatible iOS (version 10.0 or higher) or Android (version 5.0 or higher) - Residence in the United States - Provision of permissions for notifications and data sharing with the Research Center - Provision of signed and dated informed consent (within the eFHS mobile app)
- Limited and non-readers
- Study Type
- Intervention Model
- Parallel Assignment
- Intervention Model Description
- Each participant will be randomized to one of the 2 groups. A statistician will generate randomization lists with the use of randomly permuted blocks of varying sizes, with stratification according to participant's age (≤75 years vs. >75 years) and type of phone (android vs. iphone). Randomization will be implemented centrally through the app.
- Primary Purpose
- Triple (Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)
|The experimental group will receive the physical function survey at weeks 2, 10, 18, and 26; the physical activity survey at weeks 2, 14, and 26; the events survey at weeks 2, 6, 10, 14, 18, 22, and 26. The administration of the cognition, pain, mood, and psychosocial surveys follow the same pattern for both groups.||
|The control group will receive the physical function survey at weeks 0, 8, 16, and 24; the physical activity survey at weeks 0, 12, and 24; the events survey at weeks 0, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, and 24. The administration of the cognition, pain, mood, and psychosocial surveys follow the same pattern for both groups.||
- Boston University
Study ContactJoanne M Murabito, MD ScM
Participants in eFHS are invited to enroll from the FHS Offspring and Omni Group 1 Cohorts during the in-person examination 10/5 at the FHS Research Center in Framingham, Massachusetts (MA), USA or remotely from home after the in-person examination. All eFHS participants have the eFHS myDataHelps mobile app (developed by FHS investigators with CareEvolution our industry partner) installed on their smartphone. The eFHS app allows communication with participants through notifications and data collection. Participants are asked to answer health surveys administered through the app. Survey assessments will include 6 modules: cognition, pain, mood, physical function and performance, physical activity, and events. The interventions are defined by the patterns of administration of survey modules to the experimental and control groups. The administration of the cognition, pain, mood, and psychosocial modules follow the same pattern for both groups. However, the administration of the physical function, physical activity, and events modules is delayed by 2 weeks in the experimental group as compared to the control group.